As one of four Bayfield Vehicle Hire depots in the UK (with more to come, I’m sure!), we are proud to call the Cambridgeshire city of Ely home. Being an independent vehicle hire firm that supports both Ely businesses and individuals, we love to shout about our hometown whenever we get the chance! As well as offering lots of wonderful businesses, Ely boasts stunning countryside, many places of interest and genuinely kind people.
For that reason, we thought we’d share some of our favourite things about Ely….
1. Most people’s first destination in town is usually Ely Cathedral. This amazing building is known locally as the ‘Ship of the Fens’. The cathedral can be seen for miles around and has hosted many film scenes over the years, most notably The King’s Speech starring Colin Firth, who won an Oscar for his performance.
2. The waterfront at Ely is a beautiful place to sit and watch the world go by. You’ll probably see a Bayfield Vehicle Hire van parked up nearby as it’s our favourite lunchtime spot! The waterfront offers a number of local pubs and restaurants, all serving up delicious fayre in a warm, welcoming atmosphere. As well as food and drink, Waterside Antiques is a must for avid bargain hunters in search of hidden treasures. It’s situated just after the bridge if you’re coming from the direction of the river.
3. If retail therapy is your thing, Ely has a small but compact city centre that houses a variety of shops, some local, some national. We recommend ‘The Eel Catcher’s Daughter’ as the perfect place to buy souvenirs and gifts to remember your visit by. There are also some fantastic tea rooms and coffee shops to relax in.
4. Ely has many pubs, but ‘The Prince Albert’ is popular amongst the Bayfield Vehicle Hire team. With two bar areas, you get to choose your preferred pub experience. Enjoy a quiet drink in the front bar, or sample their menu choices in the back bar and restaurant. The pub is dog friendly and has a nice garden area to enjoy (when the sun is shining!).
5. Ely is in an ideal location from which to visit neighbouring towns and cities. We are situated just 15 miles from the beautiful University City of Cambridge. In the opposite direction we have Newmarket, renowned for its world-famous horse racing, which has spanned over 350 years.
Of course, all of the above pale in comparison to the thousands of lovely people who live ad work in Ely! It’s not always easy setting up your own business, but when we launched Bayfield Vehicle Hire in Ely we had nothing but best wishes and support. The local business community and inhabitants make our job a joy. We work hard, we go the extra mile, we do a good deal… and in return we enjoy a loyal customer base.
If you’re not local to us, hopefully we’ve given you the appetite to visit our small but vibrant city! It was hard choosing just five things that we could fit into our first blog, but come and see Ely in person and we guarantee you even more famous attractions and our welcoming spirit.
But if you are local, maybe we’ll be chatting at some point soon. If ever you need a car of van to hire in Ely, our team is sure to look after you. Bayfield Vehicle Hire can be contacted on 01353 666671.